Hello, dear readers of my blog. Today we will talk about such, all well-known product, like red currants. Surely in the cottages of many of you, or on the plots, grow its spreading bushes. Fruits from them can be eaten, torn straight from the branch, or made of them, fruit juice, compote or jam.
Each of you, at least once in your life, tried the red currant, not suspecting that it is often called the “berry of life”. And this is not accidental, as I will discuss in more detail in today’s article. Her heroine will be red currant useful properties and contraindications which would be nice to know each of us.
What is included in the composition of redcorn berries
Currants of red color are considered one of the most useful products of gardening, which have been used in ancient times in folk medicine. It is believed that its use helps maintain youth and beauty, improve health and increase life expectancy.
This small berry has a rich composition of extremely useful substances for the human body, among which:
- B vitamins – riboflavin (B2), pyridoxine (B6), thiamine (B1), as well as folic acid (B9) and pantothenic (B3);
- Vitamins A, E, C and PP (niacin equivalent);
- Vitamin H, or biotin, which promotes the absorption of fatty acids and B vitamins, and the burning of excess fat;
- Beta-carotene, which increases the antioxidant defense of the body and is a source for the synthesis of vitamin A;
- Microelements of iodine, calcium and potassium, phosphorus and iron, sodium and magnesium.
Even a person unfamiliar with biochemistry understands that a product with such a set of substances probably has a beneficial effect on many vital functions of our body.
But in addition, in addition, red currant contains pectins, which release toxic substances and slags, as well as coumarin, fiber, saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.
Useful properties of currant
The consumption of fruits of the Red Sea bush, or products of their processing, has a restorative and health-improving effect on the human body. The vitamins, minerals and other vitamins contained in the currant, which are necessary for the normal life of the substance, contribute to:
- Strengthening the walls of blood vessels of the circulatory system;
- Prevention of blood clots, due to the presence of coumarin, reducing coagulability
- Blood, which reduces the risk of such dangerous diseases as atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes;
- Normal operation of the heart muscle, which is due to the high content of potassium;
- Stimulating the hemoglobin synthesis in the blood because of the presence of trace elements of iron in the berry;
- Prevention of eye diseases and improving the work of the organs of vision;
- Prevention of cancer, due to the large content of antioxidant substances;
- Normalization of the digestive system and gastrointestinal tract.
The pectins, which enter the red currant, bind harmful substances in the intestines, helping to purify it and normalize the microflora, which affects the digestion. Fiber from currant berries, quickly saturates the body, while being a mild laxative. Therefore, they are often used for gastritis with low acidity or constipation.
The juice of red currant berries well removes excess fluid from the body. Being an excellent diuretic, it normalizes the work of the kidneys, supplementing the general cleansing action.
The presence of iodine in currant berries improves the functioning of the thyroid gland, normalizing the hormonal background, and vitamins A, C and PP increase the elasticity of the skin and make the hair smooth and silky.
The presence of ascorbic acid berries in juice, in combination with beta-carotene, increases immunity, creating a reliable protection not only from cold infections, but also from intestinal pathogens.
Moreover, it should be noted that useful substances are present not only in the juice, but also in the bones and even the leaves of the red currant bush. They saturate all the vital organs of man, including the brain, liver and spleen.
Contraindications of the fruits of the Red Sea bush
Unfortunately, such a healthy product, like red currant, has contraindications.
The main danger in it are organic acids, widely represented in the component composition of berries. They irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive tract and can lead to complication of certain diseases. With caution, and only not during the period of exacerbation, the red currant should be consumed in the presence of the following diseases:
- Ulcers of the stomach or intestines;\
- Gastritis with high acidity;
Because of the presence of coumarin in the berries, which reduces the coagulability of blood, they can not be eaten by people suffering from hemophilia.
The presence of a natural dye, most often, does not cause allergic reactions, but sometimes they can appear in people susceptible to red berries. Especially it concerns children up to three years old. Most often, allergies can cause fresh or frozen berries, while dishes cooked from them will be absolutely harmless.
Now, having a little idea about this berry, having learned what useful substances contains red currant, useful properties and contra-indications of this valuable product, one can understand why it is called the “berry of life”.
The biggest problem of modern mankind are cardiovascular diseases, the risk of which can be significantly reduced by eating red currants. But do not forget about the restrictions in the use of this product for certain categories of people.
See you soon, my readers! Subscribe to blog updates and share this article with your friends on social networks. Do not forget to leave your comments.