I greet you, dear visitor. If you read my story, I will assume that you have a similar problem, and now you are wondering: what to do with stretching the leg ligaments? Since the problem is familiar to me not by hearsay, and the stretching is present in my sports practice, I will tell you my stories.
Some time ago, in a volleyball training session, I landed unsuccessfully on the opponent’s leg, tucked my ankle into my legs. A sharp sharp pain pierced my leg. Trying to step aside, I realized that I can hardly step on my foot. Then the trainer who approached us stated that I had a sprained ligament in my left leg.
I had to spend the rest of the training passively halfway, doing only the exercises on my hands, since my leg hurt incredibly and did not allow me to make unnecessary movement on it. Home came limping and suffering unpleasant pain. The most painful thing was to turn the leg inward, and occasionally this happened accidentally, bringing a sharp and burning pain. The leg at the site of the lesion was swollen and acquired a bluish-yellowish hue.
For those who do not know what a ligament is, I explain: the ligament is the localization of the connective tissue, designed to strengthen our joints. If you, colleagues, are engaged in intensive sports, then know that our ligaments are under heavy loads during training, and their full or partial breaks are not uncommon.
It was necessary to do something
Of course, I began to take steps to get into the system as soon as possible. Interrupt in the sport for a long time did not want at all, it was a shame to skip the material and run the lower half of the body.
At home, I immediately put the cold on the affected place, in order not to remove the throbbing pain.
Next, I applied the gel to the affected area. Such a gel must always be in the kit of any athlete, and I always have it ready.
In the pharmacy, I bought a new elastic bandage and made a leg bandage so as to fix the ankle. Yes, when walking it caused some inconvenience, but I realized that it is necessary for a speedy recovery. In general, I tried to move as little as possible, more to keep my foot in a horizontal position for the outflow of blood from swelling.
The bandage loosened every 2-3 hours, and every 6 hours smeared the place of damage with troxevasin.
For training, I continued to walk, putting on an elastic bandage and not giving any loads to the aching leg.
Two days later, walking almost did not bring pain. A week later, my leg felt more or less well, and I decided to try it fully. However, after jumping several times, I realized that I was in a hurry. Again the pain, again the treatment.
Finally, I rehabilitated only two weeks after the last load on my leg. I was lucky that this period fell just on New Year’s holidays, because I just had to rest. Moral: when you stretch the ligaments you need complete and absolute peace in relation to this ligament.
What are the degrees of sprain?
In general, sprains are divided into three categories:
- – first degree. When the pain is quite tolerable, movement is possible, puffiness is negligible. In this case, you can not use any measures at all – just give a bunch of rest for a week or two;
- – the second degree. When the pain is strong enough, there is swelling, pulsation in the place of edema, the affected joint is moving painfully. It is already necessary to use ointments, elastic bandages. A restrained bundle is simply necessary;
- – the third degree. When the pain is unbearable, the swelling is huge, down to the hematoma. In this case, you should immediately go to the emergency room – perhaps not only a stretch, but a joint dislocation or fracture. Most likely, it is necessary to lay down on hospitalization and to drop out of a life at least for a month.
How my friend experienced a third degree of sprain
This story is not the only one in his practice. This stretching can be called relatively easy. About ten years ago he had the displeasure to know what the third degree of stretching was. Ironically, it happened not in training and not in the woods, where my friend was all that day, and on his arrival in the city, elementary in the wasteland, where dense summer grass – alas – hid the presence of pits.
It was in this pit that his leg hit him badly. A terrible pain in the ankle: so that he already howled, the swelling went instantly – so much so that I had to remove my boot from the foot (because my foot stopped to fit into it). He was lucky that I was with him. I had to literally carry it in my arms.
It was already quite late, so he spent the night without any help. The next morning on the crutches brought by me, he got to the emergency room to take a picture for a fracture. The pain was terrible, the leg was difficult to lower down, as the blood flowed to her, causing additional inconvenience. It’s good that the fracture was not there – they saved dense boots. However, the stretch was such that for a month he lay at home, moving around the house with difficulty on crutches.
Every day he rubbed his leg with troxevasin, rewound with a stretch bandage, kept it only horizontally, because in the vertical position the blood poured into the affected area, making the leg almost leaden.
If you have a sprain
So, dear reader, I believe that I have enough experience to tell you exactly what to do:
- You do not need to be heroic and try to pretend that nothing has happened. A man is hard to admit his weakness, but this is not the case when you have to clench your teeth and continue to train or move. It will only get worse;
- Immediately put ice or something cold on the affected area. If the stretching occurred in the gym, attach a cold pancake from the bar or a plastic dumbbell. Cold objects can always be found;
- See degree of stretching. Above I described the signs of each degree. A huge swelling and terrible pain is an occasion to immediately go to the emergency department;
- Do not hesitate to ask for help from others. Ointment and bandage may not be at hand, but they may be at someone from the environment;
- At the time of rehabilitation, organize yourself assistance in household matters. You still have to move around, and try to minimize these movements. If you have someone to cook food, go to the store for bread, – now is the time to ask them about it;
- I understand that most of you can not wait to fight again (ie for training). But wait. Premature loads on the stretched ligament – and all for a new one. Be patient.
I wish you all a minimum of injuries, good health and good mood. I hope that the information turned out to be useful to you, so you can subscribe to the blog updates and share the article on social networks. If one of you still does not know what to do with stretching the leg ligaments, I will gladly answer the questions in the comments to the article.