Good afternoon, dear readers. We all use the berries of various plants and are familiar with their strengths and weaknesses. Today I would like to discuss with you an interesting topic, not related to the fruits of “gooseberry leaves useful properties and contraindications.”
Species and varieties
To get acquainted with the properties of leaves I want to talk about gooseberry on which they grow. The plant belongs to the Kryzhovnikov family and has 160 species. Of these, about 50 are considered wild.
You can meet them in North America. There are wild varieties in Russia, for example, gooseberries are rejected, the Motherland is the Northern Caucasus. Gooseberries needle – Siberia, Central Asia. In the Far East – gooseberry bureinsky.
Each type of gooseberry is the progenitor of new varieties. Currently, they number up to 4000. Conventionally, all varieties are divided into 3 groups:
- Hybrid. The berries of this group are large with a pleasant taste.
- American. The taste qualities of fruits are a little understated, small. They have high resistance to fungal diseases.
- European. The berries are large. Low resistance to infectious diseases. Reproduces with great difficulty.
The description of all varieties will take a long time. Therefore, I will describe the most popular:
- “Salute” is a winter hardy and drought-resistant variety. The bush is very compact and of medium size. The berries have an oval shape, large size (3.5 g). When ripe, the fruit color changes to dark red. The fragrance is absent.
- “Russian”. Shrubs are high with an average maturity. High-yielding, winter-hardy variety. The plant is not prone to disease. Spines of medium height. Large berries are red.
- “Eaglet”. The variety does not have thorns. The bush is resistant to diseases, medium in size and spreads in moderation. A distinctive feature is the black berries that have a waxy coating.
- The Moscow Red. The variety has high yield, winter hardy. Fruits are oval, color is dark red. When ripe berries have a purple hue, very fragrant, with a dessert taste.
- “Kazachok”. The variety is drought-resistant, medium-ripening, not prone to disease. Ripe fruits acquire a dark plum color.
- “Commander”. Winter-resistant variety with high yield. Fruits are average, reaching a weight of 4.2 g. A bush without thorns, high resistance to disease powdery mildew.
- “White Nights”. Winter-resistant variety with early maturation. Spikes are average. Berries are not very small, with a yellow tinge, sweet to taste.
- “African”. The name speaks for itself, the brand is drought-resistant, frost-hardy, high-yielding. The bush is sverhnerskidisty, resistant disease, powdery mildew, without thorns. Berries are small in size, having a black waxy coating, which have an sour-sweet taste.All these varieties are unpretentious and yielding. The green crown of a plant can serve as an ornament of any garden.
If we talk about folk medicine, the beneficial properties of gooseberry leaves are not inferior to berries.
Use of leaves as a medical product
Did you know that they can bring to the body drugs that are based on leaves of gooseberry? It turns out that a lot of positive properties, thanks to the components inside them:
- Tannins of leaves perform the following properties: bactericidal, anti-inflammatory hemostatic;
- Malic acid improves metabolic processes, immune system, blood circulation.
- Clears the body of toxins, promotes fat burning;
- Citric acid helps to reorganize the energy balance, increases resistance to negative external environment, activates brain cells, increases the efficiency of the nervous system;
- Flavonoids strengthen the walls of blood vessels, neutralize the work of free radicals and the leaf works as an antioxidant.
- Broths have positive properties for skin diseases
- Strengthen the hair;
- Rinsing the oral cavity with a decoction, promote the preservation of a healthy microclimate in it;
- Remove stones from the kidneys and help to recover;
- Broths and tinctures are used for tuberculosis, arthritis, osteochondrosis;
I advise brewed young leaves, take instead of a cup of coffee and tea. The drink perfectly tones the body in the morning.
Contraindications on gooseberry leaves
The use of decoctions and tinctures on the leaves of gooseberry is not available to everyone. This applies to people with gastrointestinal diseases (gastrointestinal tract). Peptic ulcer of the stomach, duodenum, enterocolitis, colitis can become worse.
Kidney disease – use drugs with care, do not overdose.
- Leaves of gooseberries grind (1 tablespoon), put in a thermos and pour steep boiling water (1 glass). All insists about 30 minutes. Then, strain and drink 3 times a day.
- Dosage: 1/3 of the glass before meals for 30 minutes.
- Infusion is effective in tuberculosis, obesity, osteochondrosis, arthritis.
Connect 3 tbsp. L. Leaf with 3 glasses of water and put on fire. Boil for 6 minutes. Cool and strain.
Decoction is useful for ulcers of the oral cavity, dysentery, diarrhea. On a hot day, the product perfectly tones, refreshes the body, and prevents dehydration.
Contraindications to decoction. Assume that there is a surgical intervention, a few weeks before the operation, you must stop taking it. Since it can cause bleeding during or after surgery.
As we see, the positive properties of leaves are much more than negative. Therefore, you can stock up on winter not only berries, but also leaves. To do this, collect them, rinse under running water. Dry in the shade.
Before I say goodbye, I want to invite you to subscribe to updates on the blog, share useful information with friends in the social network. Nets “gooseberry leaves useful properties and contraindications”, leave a comment. Until next time, and be healthy.